I’m really curious! What’s your writing process like? For me:
- Bullet list outline. I write down everything that comes to mind, what happens, to descriptions, snippets of dialogue, flashes of emotions etc. It’s one giant miscellaneous (but completed) mess. (example.)
- Split it into chapters I have to.
- Impulsively work on whatever bullet item catches my fancy/is most inspiring. Single line notes become paragraphs, quips become conversations etc.
- Jump about until viola! It’s a completed fic!
- Send 2 beta. Or any friend who is unfortunate enough to be online (✧ ‿✧)!!!!!
How about you?
1. Get the most inconvenient idea possible (e.g. an AU of something really bizarre or an idea for a story fifteen years ahead of the rest of my series)
2. Write it down in a .txt file and bury it in my folder nests and pretend not to be utterly desperate to write it
3. Go back to what I am supposed to be writing presently
4. Generally, repeat from step 1 several times
4 1/2. REALIZE WHILE EATING BREAKFAST THAT I HAVE A FULLY FORMED SCENE FOR STORY A-14 AND MUST WRITE IT NOW
4 3/4. Roll to a stop and worry for the story’s fate
5. Finish my previous story
6. Do other stuff for three days (baking, cleaning, online jigsaw puzzles, reading fic)
7. Repeat steps 4 1/2 and 4 3/4 with rotating stories until one of them solidifies to the point where I go “I CAN SEE IT ALL SO CLEARLY NOW, THIS IS GONNA BE THE STORY”
8. Bang my head against it until it fucking does the thing, eventually filling gaps chronologically by force
9. Word count from the beginning to the first gap and go “Is it a chapter yet?”
10. IT IS A CHAPTER
11. Valiantly try to resist posting it until it goes through one of my betas and/or I can be more sure where the story is going
13. hand-code HTML formatting and post to AO3 and sometimes FF
14. Realize I have been writing my series so out of order that I now have temporal anomaly plot holes so big they swallow planets
15. Get a comment from my mom pointing out the glaring logistical error
17. Write remainder of next chapter and post without beta anyway
18. repeat from step 8 until story arc is complete
19. wonder why I write
Alternately (the story of Better Teachers):
1. Get an idea
2. Surface two weeks later having written 28K IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PROSE WITH ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW IT HAPPENED